Red Velvet Cake
Who can pass up a slice of red velvet cake!!
- hite regular shortening ½ cup
- white granulated sugar 1½ cups
- eggs, well beaten 2 each
- red food coloring 2 oz.
- cocoa 1 Tbsp.
- baking soda 1 tsp
- salt 1 tsp.
- buttermilk 1 cup
- vanilla 1 tsp.
- white vinegar 1 tsp.
- sifted white flour 2 ¼ cups
- 5 tablespoons white flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup margarine
- Mix shortening, sugar and eggs together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl make a liquid paste of the red food coloring and cocoa. Stir in with above mix.
- Add buttermilk and salt alternately with the flour, and beat slowly. Add vanilla, baking soda, and vinegar separately.
- Pour into a well-greased & floured 9” X 13” glass pan, or into two 8” well greased & floured cake pans.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Bake 30 - 35 minutes.
- Cook flour and heavy whipping cream on low heat stirring constantly in small non-stick pot until it becomes thick, similar to gravy roux. Set aside and cool well!
- Beat on low speed in stand mixer bowl, the sugar, vanilla, and margarine until fluffy.
- Blend in well cooled flour and heavy whipping cream mixture. Beat with stand mixer on medium speed until the frosting turns almost white. This will take 15 - 20 minutes. Do not rush this step.
- Frost the cake(s) when they are completely cooled.
From The Chef To You http://fromthecheftoyou.com/