These bars are exceedingly rich; a little goes a long way. And while the original didn't include coconut flavor in the filling, we think its addition is absolutely perfect.
2 hr 25 min
2 hr 25 min
- Unsalted butter, melted ½ cup
- Granulated sugar ¼ cup
- Unsweetened cocoa, Dutch-process or natural 1/3 cup
- Egg 1 large
- Shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened 1 cup
- Chopped walnuts or pecans ½ cup
- Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp.
- Graham cracker crumbs (made from about 13 whole crackers) 2 cups
- Unsalted butter, at room temperature 16 Tbsp.
- Salt (omit if you use salted butter) 1/2 tsp.
- Confectioners' sugar, sifted 4 cups
- Vanilla extract or 1/8 teaspoon coconut flavor 1 tsp.
- Quick and Easy Pastry Cream Mix or instant vanilla pudding mix 4 Tbsp.
- Milk 4 Tbsp.
- Chopped bittersweet chocolate or semisweet chocolate chips 1 cup
- Heavy cream or butter ¼ cup cream or 2 Tbsp. butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" square pan or 11" x 7" pan.
- To make the crust: Place all of the crust ingredients in a mixing bowl, and beat at medium speed just until thoroughly combined.
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan, and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, and set it aside to cool.
- To make the fillin