Chocolate Fudge Cake
This is a dense rich cake!
- 6 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 6 Tbsp. strong, brewed coffee
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 lb. butter at room temperature (3 sticks)
- 1 lb. dark brown sugar
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1 c. flour
- 6 large eggs
- Confectioners' sugar
- Whipped heavy cream, optional
- Bake this cake at least 2 days before serving. A rich dense cake
- that improves in taste and texture upon standing.
- Place baking rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 10 in. springform pan.
- In double boiler, over simmering water, melt chocolate with coffee.
- Remove from heat and when slightly cool, add vanilla. Stir.
- The melted chocolate and coffee may form a thick paste, but in
- incorporates easily into the batter when added.
- In large bowl cream butter, brown and white sugars with hand held
- or standing mixer. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add yolks one at a time to sugar mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Add chocolate mixture to batter and mix well. Stir in flour mixing only
- until incorporated.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and glossy. Fold into chocolate mixture, being careful
- not to deflate egg whites.
- Turn batter into prepared springform pan. Smooth top with spatula. Bake for
- one hour or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove from oven and cover top of cake with aluminum foil to keep
- top from hardening.
- When cake is cool, store covered in baking pan until ready to serve.
- Do not refrigerate.
- At serving time, remove sides of springform pan and place cake on platter.
- Dust the top lightly with confectioners' sugar. Top each portion, if desired, with a dollop of whipped cream.
From The Chef To You http://fromthecheftoyou.com/