ALASKAN BLUEBERRY COFFEE CAKE
This cake has a great flavor!
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon round cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chilled butter or margarine
FOR THE BATTER
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- Blueberry Spread
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 package unflavored gelatin (1/4 ounce)
- 3 cups blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour the bottom of a 9-inch square or round baking pan.
TO MAKE THE TOPPING
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender or two knives scissor-fashion, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
TO MAKE THE BATTER
- In a large bowl, blend together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg until foamy before beating into the oil and milk. Fold in 1 cup of the blueberries. Combine the two mixtures, blending until the dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle on the topping mixture and top with the remaining 1/2 cup blueberries.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean and the berries on top appear dried out. Remove the pan from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Blueberry Spread
- Place the water in a medium saucepan and sprinkle in the gelatin. Set the pan over medium-low heat and stir gently until the gelatin has dissolved.
- Using a large spoon, stir in the blueberries, ginger, sugar, lemon juice, and zest. Raise the heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover the pan, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the fruit is tender.
- Remove from the heat and cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a serving bowl. Serve warm or cold.
- Serve war