Yankee Pot Roast
The natural gravy off this roast is great!
- Beef Bottom Round or Rump Roast 3-4 lbs
- Vegetable oil 1/4 cup
- Salt, pepper, granulated garlic 2 tsp each
- Carrots, ½ inch diced 1 cup
- Onions, ½ inch diced 1 cup
- Water 2 cups
- Tomatoes, diced 12 oz can
- Allspice 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar 3 tbsp
- Salt & pepper 1/4 tsp each
- Thyme 1/8 tsp or 2 pinches
- Water, cold 3/4 cup
- Flour, A.P. 1/3 cup
- Rub seasoning into beef. In a Dutch oven or pot with a tight fitting lid, over medium heat, add oil to pan, sear beef on all side.
- Add water to pan; Deglaze pan by scraping the bottom of the pot. Remove from stove and add the remaining ingredients.
- Place tightly fitting lid on pot , Braise by cooking for 2 - 2-1/2 hours or until fork tender.
- Remove beef from pot, let stand 10- 15 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile (back at the pot) Degrease the stock by removing the fat that is flowing on top.
- Place stock back on burner, bring to a boil. Add flour to water, mix well, add to stock and let simmer 5 minutes, serve over roast.
- You can prepare this dish in the crock pot. Sear meat , add remaining ingredients and beef to crock pot and follow manufacturers instructions.
From The Chef To You http://fromthecheftoyou.com/