REGALS SOURDOUGH STARTER
This is a dying art!
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- In a 2-quart glass bowl, mix yeast and warm water; let stand 10 minutes. Cover tightly with plastic storage wrap and let stand in warm place for 24 hours.
- Stir mixture and reseal with plastic wrap. Place mixture in warm place for 2 to 3 days or until it bubbles and smells sour.
- Refrigerate sourdough starter.
- After using a portion of the starter, replenish it with equal parts flour and warm water. Let sit 4 to 5 hours until it bubbles. Store in glass container in refrigerator.
HINTS FOR SUCCESSFUL SOURDOUGH BAKING
- - Always make starter in a glass container. Never store it in metal or use metal utensils. The starter will react to the metal.
- - All ingredients, including the starter, should be at room temperature.
- Cold ingredients will slow down the starter's action.
- - When using starter, always replenish it. Let it stand at room temperature for 4 to 5 hours until mixture bubbles. Seal it and refrigerate.
- - If starter separates, stir until blended before using.
From The Chef To You http://fromthecheftoyou.com/