Decadent Butterscotch Nut Coffee Cake
This in a wonderfully moist, decadent coffee cake. It freezes well.
Pecan-Spice Swirl Filling
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 T. (firmly packed) light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
Coconut-butterscotch-sour cream batter
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1.5 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup butterscotch flavoured chips
- 18 T. unsalted butter, softened
- 1.75 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
Garnish, when ready to serve
- 2 T. confectioners’ sugar, for sifting
Make the filling
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease then flour inside of a 10 inch bundt pan. Thoroughly combine the chopped nuts, sugar,
- light brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom in bowl, set aside.
- Make batter: Sift flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. In small bowl, toss the butterscotch chips with 1 tsp. sifted mixture.
- Cream butter in bowl for 3 minutes. Beat in half of sugar; continue beating for 2 minutes longer. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla.
- On low, alternately add the sifted mixture in 3 additions with the sour cream in 2 additions. Stir in the chips and coconut. Spoon a bit more than half of batter into the pan. Using the back of a Tbsp. Make a trench through the middle of the batter, pushing the batter about 3/4 inch up the sides of the pan.
- Sprinkle most of the nut mixture into the trench, and a little of it on the pushed up sides. Spoon in the remaining batter. Draw a table knife lightly through the batter to swirl it, taking care not to touch sides or bottom of pan (which will make the cake stick to the pan) Smooth the top.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until risen and toothpick comes out clean.
- The sides will gently pull from the pan. Cool the cake in pan on rack
- for 5 to 7 minutes. Invert, cool completely.
From The Chef To You http://fromthecheftoyou.com/