Chocolate Loaf Cake
This is a King Arthuir recipe that you will really love!
- 4 ounces butter, preferably at room temperature for easiest mixing
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder, optional, to enhance chocolate flavor
- •2/3 cup Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa or Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, salt, vanilla, baking powder, espresso powder, and cocoa to make a sandy, somewhat clumpy mixture. Don't worry; the eggs will smooth things out.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl midway through this process.
- Add half the flour to the bowl, beating at low speed to combine.
- Add all of the milk, beating at low speed to combine.
- Add the remaining flour, beating gently just until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- 8) Bake the cake for 75 to 80 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The top may look a tiny bit damp; that's OK. If you have an instant-read thermometer, the center will register 210°F to 215°F, while just under the top will register about 198°F to 200°F.
- 9) Remove the cake from the oven, loosen the edges, wait 10 minutes, and turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool.
- 10) Store completely cooled cake well wrapped, at room temperature.
From The Chef To You http://fromthecheftoyou.com/