Chocolate Mint Cookies
This is both a cookie & a candy square
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup coconut (either sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 - 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla custard powder (Bird's) or vanilla pudding powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar (confectioners or icing) sugar
- Green Food Coloring (optional)
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Butter (or use a non stick cooking spray) a 9 x 9 inch pan.
- Bottom Layer: In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Stir in the sugar and cocoa powder and then gradually whisk in the beaten egg. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens (1 - 2 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract graham cracker crumbs, coconut, and chopped nuts. Press the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Cover and refrigerate until firm (about an hour).
- Buttercream: In your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer) cream the butter. Beat in the remaining ingredients. If desired, add a little green food coloring and beat until the filling is uniform in color. If the mixture is too thick to spread, add a little more milk. Spread the filling over the bottom layer, cover, and refrigerate until firm (about 30 minutes).
- In a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter. Spread over the filling and refrigerate.
- To Serve: To prevent the chocolate from cracking bring the squares to room temperature and then, using a sharp knife, cut into pieces.
From The Chef To You http://fromthecheftoyou.com/