This is a large recipe
- 2 medium-sized ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- two 15" to 16" French-style baguettes
- Blend all of the ingredients (except the baguettes!) in a small glass or ceramic bowl, and let the mixture rest for at least 10 minutes at room temperature. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Right before you head out on your picnic (or just before you plan to serve), slice the baguettes about 3/4" thick, on the diagonal. Brush one side of each slice with olive oil.
- Place slices oil-side-up on a baking sheet, and broil (carefully!) just until the slices are lightly browned. Remove them from the broiler and let them cool completely. Pack them in an airtight container.
- When ready to serve, place a scant tablespoon of the tomato mixture on top of each slice of bread.
From The Chef To You http://fromthecheftoyou.com/