Apple juice beef pot roast
A bit of sweet & sour, plus the sweet potatoes make this pot roast great!
- 4 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or shortening
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon basil leaves
- 3 large sweet potatoes, pared and cut into pieces
- lemon juice
- chopped parsley
- apple rings
- Cook onions in 1 tablespoon butter or shortening in Dutch oven until tender-crisp; set aside.
- Brown roast in remaining butter or shortening in Dutch oven over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes or until browned on both sides. Pierce entire surface of meat with fork.
- Combine apple juice, ketchup, salt, pepper, thyme, mustard and basil; add to meat. Top meat with reserved cooked onions; cover and cook slowly 2 1/2 hours or until almost tender.
- Brush sweet potatoes with lemon juice for bright color; add to meat. Continue cooking, covered, 30 to 40 minutes or until meat and potatoes are tender.
- Place meat and potatoes on warm platter. Sprinkle potatoes with chopped parsley or garnish with apple rings and parsley, if desired. Serve gravy over sliced meat.
- After apple juice mixture is added to browned meat, it may be marinated in the refrigerator until 3 to 4 hours before serving time; turn meat several times. If Dutch oven is cast iron, transfer to a glass dish.
- GRAVY: Skim excess fat from cooking liquid; add water if needed to make 1 1/2 cups. Mix 1/2 cup water and 2 tablespoons unbleached flour; stir gradually into cooking liquid. Heat to boiling; cook, stirring 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Gravy may be served in large apple that has been scooped out, if desired.
From The Chef To You http://fromthecheftoyou.com/