Smoked Turkey 1890 Style
A marinated Turkey with a lot of flavor!
- Whole turkey 1 each, 7-12 lbs
- Salt & Pepper As needed
- Garlic Cloves 4 each
- Bay leaf 1 each
- Liquid smoke 1/3 cup
- Boiling water 1 cup
- Peppercorns 6 each
- Dried red pepper pod 1 each
- Dry mustard 1 tbsp
- Rub dry turkey cavity and skin with salt and pepper. Cut 1 clove garlic in half and rub cavity . Then leave the split garlic and the bay leaf in the cavity. Rub the skin with the second clove of split garlic and discard. Cut two slits in the skin of breast and insert clove of garlic in each.
- Brush entire bird, inside and out, with 1/4 cup liquid smoke. Let stand overnight in refrigerator.
- Next day, put turkey in a shallow roasting pan and bake for 20 minutes in a preheated 500° degree oven. Reduce heat to 400° degrees; pour a mixture of 1 cup boiling water, remaining ingredients, and remain liquid smoke over turkey. Cover and cook according to your own roasting scale, bast frequently. Cool, or serve hot.
From The Chef To You http://fromthecheftoyou.com/