- Rutabaga, fresh, med-lg 1 ea
- Bacon fat 2 Tbsp
- Salt & Pepper as needed
- Crushed red pepper ½ tsp
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Bring 3 cup of water to a boil, during this time peel and slice, or dice rutabaga.
- Add bacon fat some salt and pepper, ½ of red pepper and sugar. Bring liquid back to a boil. Taste the liquid, you are looking for a liquid that is a bit salty, and a bite from the peppers.
- Add the rutabagas, bring back to a boil, cover, reduce to low and cook for 30-45 minutes.
- Drain liquid to a bowl ( this if you want to add some liquid later to the mashed rutabagas)
- Using a potato masher or fork mash rutabagas. add some liquid if desired.
- Hold well in refrigerator, great reheated, freezes well also
From The Chef To You http://fromthecheftoyou.com/