New England Clam Chowder
A rich and creamy soup packed with potatoes and clams!
- Clams, diced canned, in juice 3 - 6 oz cans
- Bacon, raw, diced 4 slices
- Olive oil 3 Tbsp.
- Scallions or Green onions, 1/4 inch diced 1/2 cup
- Celery, small diced 2 stalks
- Flour, A.P. 3 Tbsp.
- Thyme, whole leaf, dry 1/4 tsp.
- Potatoes, peeled, ½ inch diced 3 medium potatoes
- Salt & pepper 1/2 tsp.
- Chicken stock 1 cup
- Milk 2 cup
- Brown bacon, remove bacon, add olive oil, saute onions and celery for about 4-5 minutes. Add potatoes, thyme, pepper and salt, saute 4-5 minutes. Add the flour, stir well. Add milk, bacon, and clam juice.
- Simmer over medium heat , covered, Do not Boil cook for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Add clams, adjust seasoning with salt & pepper, simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Note: Common mistakes when preparing New England Clam Chowder.
- 1. Boiling the stock after the milk is added, the milk could break (separate)ruining the chowder.
- 2.Adding the clams to early, making them rubbery.
From The Chef To You http://fromthecheftoyou.com/