Manhattan Clam Chowder
This chowder is made with a small amount of tomatoes and no milk.
- Clams, diced canned, in juice 3 - 6 oz cans
- Bacon, raw, diced 4 slices
- Olive oil 3 Tbsp.
- Scallions or Green onions, 1/4 inch diced 1/2 cup
- Celery, small diced, 2 stalks
- (with celery leaves, finely chopped)
- Flour, A.P. 2 Tbsp.
- Thyme, whole leaf, dry 1/4 tsp.
- Potatoes, peeled, ½ inch diced 3 medium potatoes
- Salt & pepper 1/2 tsp.
- Water 1 cups
- Tomatoes, canned, diced 1- 14.5 oz can
- Drain and reserve juice, place clams and juice in refrigerator.
- Brown bacon, remove bacon, add olive oil, saute onions and celery for about 4-5 minutes. Add potatoes, thyme, pepper and salt, saute 4-5 minutes. Add the flour, stir well. Add water, clam juice, bacon and diced tomatoes. Bring to a low boil, cover, reduce heat to low, cook for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Add clams, adjust seasoning with salt & pepper, simmer for 5-10 minutes.
From The Chef To You http://fromthecheftoyou.com/