Eastern NC Fish Stew
I am giving you the recipe found on the Grifton, NC Shad Festival Fish Stew web site. They are the experts.
- Ingredients are seldom measured more or less of each ingredient can be used
- Fatback or slab bacon 1/2 lb
- White potatoes, peeled, sliced 5 lbs
- Onions, sliced 5 lbs
- Fish, cut in 2 inch pieces crossways 4 lbs
- through the back bone or fillets
- (rockfish, striped bass, puppy drum, catfish, whiting, pollock,
- lg mouth bass, etc, any firm fish)
- Salt & pepper To taste
- Crushed red pepper 1/2 tsp
- Tomato soup 1 can
- Eggs fresh 1 dozen minimum
- Fry bacon or fat back in the pot, remove meat and leave fat.
- Layer the ingredients starting with the onions then potatoes, fish, season with salt and peppers between layers, repeat until all ingredients are used. Fill with water until top layer is covered.
- Bring to a boil, turn heat to a medium and cook about 1-1/2 hours. DO NOT STIR. Shake the pot from time to time to keep the stew from sticking.
- About 20 minutes before the stew is done, add tomato soup and crack eggs into stew. Allow the eggs to cook in the liquid until the yolks are hard boiled. If using bacon, you can choose to toss it in at this time.
From The Chef To You http://fromthecheftoyou.com/