Put away the box rice mix and give this recipe a try!
- Butter 3 Tbsp
- Onions, diced 1 cup
- Sausage, ground, raw, hot or mild 1 lb
- Sage 1/4 tsp
- Thyme, whole 2 pinches
- Granulated garlic 1 tsp
- Parsley flakes 3 Tbsp
- Black pepper 1/4 tsp
- Ground red pepper 1/4 tsp
- Rice, raw, parboiled 2 cups
- Chicken base 2 Tbsp
- Water, hot 4 cups (1 qt)
- Saute onions until lightly browned. Remove from pan.
- Brown sausage, drain fat, break into small pieces with spoon.
- Add onions with cooked sausage. Add all spices and raw rice to onion/sausage mixture. Saute until rice is slightly browned.
- While rice is sauteing, dissolve the chicken base into the hot water. When the rice is ready, add the liquid to the rice in the saute pan. Make sure to (deglaze) remove all the food particles stuck to the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, place a tight fitting lid on top, reduce heat to a simmer, cook 20 minutes, covered.