Chicken & Shrimp Jambalaya
Outstanding recipe! Yes its my version! Give it a try.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 6 slices, bacon
- 8 ounces andouille sausage, sliced
- 1-1/2 lbs. boneless-skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tsp. marjoram, divided
- 2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tsp dry basil leaves, divided
- ½ tsp dry thyme leaves, divided
- 2 tsp. granulated garlic, divided
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 1½ cups chopped celery
- 1½ cups chopped green bell pepper or colored peppers
- 1-1/2 cups par-boiled rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth, hot
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Garnish: chopped green onion
- I make this in a two pan method: a gal pot and a medium sauté pan.
- Cook rice, bring water to a boil, add a pinch of salt and pepper, add rice stir well, cover with a tight fitting lid, reduce heat to low, let cook for 20 minutes. (this can be done earlier or even the day before, just reheat rice).
- In two separate bowls, combine ½ of marjoram, salt, pepper, basil, garlic, and to the cubed chicken. The other half of the spices to the shrimp. Mix well, refrigerate until needed.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, brown bacon until almost crispy, remove the bacon onto a paper towel. Add 4 Tbsp. butter to bacon grease, sauté celery, onions and peppers until light browned on edges.
- In the sauté pan with 1 Tbsp. oil, brown the sausage, add sausage and bacon.add to the vegetables. Add hot chicken stock, diced tomatoes, paprika and cayenne to the veg/meat mixture. Bring to just below a boil.
- Add 1 Tbsp. of oil to sauté pan, when oil is hot sauté the seasoned chicken only until slightly browned, add chicken and any liquid to the veg/meat mixture. Bring to just below a boil, reduce to a simmer
- Add 2 Tbsp. but