Chicken Orzo (Pilaf style)
If you can find the Orzo pasta, this is a great alternative to rice pilaf.
- Olive oil, extra-virgin 2 Tbsp
- Onion, chopped 1 small
- Garlic, chopped 2 cloves
- Basil leaves, dry 1 tsp.
- Thyme leaves, dry 2 pinches
- Chicken stock or broth 2 cans (14 ounces)
- ( you can use fresh chicken stock, fresh chicken drippings or 2-1/2 cup hot water with 1-1/2 Tbsp chicken base dissolved in water.)
- Orzo pasta 2 cups
- Salt & pepper 1/4 tsp each
- Preheat a 8- 10 inch pot with a tight fitting cover over moderate heat. Add oil, onion and garlic and saute for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the basil, thyme, salt and pepper, stir well.
- Add broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Stir in orzo and return broth to a boil. Cover pot and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until liquid is absorbed and pasta is tender.
- Adjust to taste with salt and pepper .
- Note you can add other ingredients such as pecans, walnuts, blueberries, raisins, carrots, celery, broccoli, etc. Add theses item after you have returned the pasta to a boil and are ready to put on the lid.
- Great served with grilled or baked chicken breast!!
From The Chef To You http://fromthecheftoyou.com/