Black Bean Chili
Black beans are high in protein!
- 4 cups dried black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano, mexican
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups green bell peppers, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes in puree
- 4 each fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and deveined, finely diced
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 6 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- sour cream
- warm flour tortillas
- Place beans in large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand 2 hours.
- Drain beans and return to pot. Add enough cold water to cover by two inches. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender but not mushy, about 2 hours. Add water as necessary.
- Drain beans, reserving 3 cups liquid. Return beans to pot along with 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Place cumin and oregano in small baking pan. Roast until fragrant, shaking occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet. Add onions, green pepper and garlic. Stir over medium high heat for 3 minutes. Add cumin and oregano mixture, paprika, cayenne, and salt. Cook until onions are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in tomatoes and jalapenos. Bring to a boil. Gently stir into the beans. If necessary, thin with reserved liquid.
- Char and peel the red bell pepper. Dice into 1/4" pieces.
- Place 1 oz goat cheese in each bowl. Top with chili. Garnish with sour cream and diced red bell pepper. Pass warm tortillas separately.
From The Chef To You http://fromthecheftoyou.com/