A popular southern dish!
- Collard Greens, Fresh 1 bunch or 1-1/2 lbs
- Bacon, diced 1 cup
- Salt & Pepper as needed
- Crushed red pepper ½ tsp
- Water 4 cups
- Cut collards into about 1-1/2 inch pieces, wash VERY well drain.
- Brown bacon in a 2 quart to a 1 gallon pot. Add water carefully to the bacon bring to a boil.
- Add some salt and pepper, and ½ of red pepper. Bring liquid back to a boil. Taste the liquid, you are looking for a liquid that is a bit salty, and a bite from the peppers.
- Add the collards, bring back to a boil, cover, reduce to low and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Drain collards ( save the pot liquor if you may choice to drink it or add some to a soup)
- Hold well in refrigerator, great reheated, freezes well also.
From The Chef To You http://fromt