Not your ordinary layered bar, carmelitas sandwich a sticky caramel, chocolate, and pecan filling between two layers of buttery, streusel-like shortbread studded with oats. Their variety of both flavors and textures make them an irresistible temptation and an easy crowd-pleaser.
1 hr 35 min
1 hr 35 min
- Crust and Topping
- Unbleached all-purpose flour 2 cups
- Quick-cooking oats 1-1/2 cup
- Light brown sugar, packed 1 cup
- Baking soda 1 tsp.
- Salt ½ tsp.
- Unsalted butter, softened 16 Tbsp.
- Caramel, cut from a block into small chunks 15 oz. /1-1/2 cup
- Milk 2 Tbsp.
- Chocolate chips 1 cup
- Chopped pecans 1-1/2 cup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan.
- To make the crust: Combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add the butter and stir by hand or on low speed of a stand mixer until the mixture is crumbly.
- Transfer half the crumb mixture to the prepared pan and press it evenly into the edges and corners.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven and set it aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- To make the filling: Melt the caramel and milk over low heat in a saucepan or in a microwave, stirring to combine.